September 9, 2009

Mirrorman Symbol Hybrid Rant

Yes ... that's two photos of the same picture. I could take 'em all day and every one would look different, and none of them look like the original!
                

 
MirrorMan Symbol Hybrid - Photo 1 
        
  
MirrorMan Symbol Hybrid - Photo 2
                        
I am always complaining that the photographs of the symbol paintings do NOT do them any kind of justice and you really cannot know what they're like "face to face" from the web pics.
                     
This has annoyed me so much I've stopped photographing the symbol paintings I do and just have the odd symbol hybrid about the virtual place, but that's not a true record of my paintings either.
                          
The two pics above are a typical example of my failure to correctly photograph a symbol painting, in this case the MirrorMan symbol hybrid, in any way, shape or form that would give at least an idea of what that painting actually looks AND FEELS like when you stand in front of it.
                    
With the symbol paintings, they shimmer and shine with golds and silvers, pearlescent and opalised paints, and extremely vibrant and bright colours. They shift and change when you move, when the clouds move across the sky, when the light changes or your perspective. The lines and shapes themselves seem to move by themselves. They're stunning, and just won't allow themselves to be photographed by me!
                     
WAIL!
               
LOL. I have been taking photographs long enough now to have some idea what works, and what doesn't, what will show up and what won't, so it seems to me, there's an evil aspect at work which is actively sabotaging taking photographs of the paintings so that I'll be forced into an actual, hard, non-virtual exhibition one of these days ...
                
Who knows.
                   
But hey - thanks for listening to me rant on about it! It does make you feel better to have a good old bitch and moan once in a while. It's an energy release don't you know!